Wharton Research Database Services is an internet based research business data service from the Wharton School. WRDS data consists of historical financial information for banks, government bonds, stock exchanges, and major companies. It is intended solely for research and instructional purposes. For more information and a demo, visit
http://wrds-web.wharton.upenn.edu/wrds/ and click on the tabs.
Accessing WRDS Without a Password
The WRDS website may be accessed without an account at http://wrds-web.wharton.upenn.edu/wrds/connect on public workstations at Stern and Bobst Library, and via the Stern wireless network.
Accessing WRDS With an Account and Password
Users with a WRDS account can login at http://wrds-web.wharton.upenn.edu/wrds/ from on or off campus. Faculty, PhD, and Research accounts come with personal and shared work space on the WRDS server, a personal record of queries, and secure access to the WRDS unix server and data. In addition, faculty may apply for class accounts which allow their students to use WRDS from off campus.
New York University faculty, administrators, staff, and graduate students may apply for a WRDS account. In addition, non-PhD students may request a Research Assistant account for a limited time if they are doing research with a faculty member. Faculty may request accounts for classes.
Requesting an account
The following steps will guide you in obtaining your WRDS account.
1. Visit http://wrds-web.wharton.upenn.edu/wrds/ with your Web browser (Internet Explorer is recommended).
2. Click on the “Register” tab next to the “Sign In” tab.
3. Complete the Account Request form.
5. The NYU Representative for WRDS will receive a message from WRDS regarding your account application.
6. The NYU Representative will check your NYU affiliation.
7. Once your account request is approved, WRDS will send you an e-mail with instructions for setting your password.
If you have suggestions, comments, questions or problems using this service, please contact:
Research Databases at Stern, 212-998-0163, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have problems, questions, or suggestions concerning WRDS database access or data querying, or programming in SAS, Fortran, or C, you can contact WRDS research and technical support at email@example.com.